I did the easy part now you do the hard part; follow dot points.
* * * 80 Thank you comments * * *

Monday, April 6, 2009

Vista: Can't move/re-order All Programs shortcuts

I've had this issue for a while and was annoyed cause I like to have my shortcuts in All Programs menu (Start>All Programs) in specific order to my usage but always got the stupid Red No crossed circle icon.

At first I thought it may have been a bug as I can't add new shortcuts to the All Programs without using a workaround but then it hit me, in windows XP there is a option to prevent drag and dropping of context menu items, but I checked and hmm it is checked.

The solution is:

The sorting option of the All Programs is set to be sorted by alphabetical order of program names.
to fix disable that option.

  1. Start > All Programs
  2. Right-click in white space > Properties
  3. Next to start menu radio button click the [customise] button
  4. Scroll down to bottom of list and de-select "Sort All Programs menu by name" checkbox
Done!

Now try to move around and re-order your shortcuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment