I did the easy part now you do the hard part; follow dot points.
* * * 80 Thank you comments * * *

Monday, January 28, 2008

BartPE - Windows on USB

For recovery, troubleshooting or what ever reason sometimes it is helpful if not critical to have Windows work.

I tried to use BartPE to make a copy of Windows suitable for a USB drive but had some problems with the service pack version.

"i386\ntdll.dll is 5.1.2600.0 should be 5.1.2600.1106 or higher"

That is the message i got and i could fix the version with the BartPE in-built slipstream option. I had to use Auto streamer.

  1. Insert Windows CD
  2. Insert Windows SP pack CD
  3. Run AutoStreamer
  4. Windows CD should locate automatically else identify CD drive letter for software
  5. For SP pack locate contents/fixes and choose one of the files (difficult part, can't just locate drive letter, for me at least)
  6. Create ISO of both CDs combined (using AutoStreamer)
  7. Mount ISO file with a virtual drive software OR burn to disc and insert the new disc
  8. Open BartPE and use the new CD or virtual Cd drive and the rest should be easy and automated.
Just thought I'd publish a mention of my scenario as BartPE wasn't completely user friendly and easy to use. Hope I've solved some troubles and save some time for you, that is why i do post these tips, hopefully good karma will mean little trouble shooting for me.

This is a good FAQ with common problem messages

No comments:

Post a Comment